Overcome Insomnia With a Naturopath in Melbourne
Sleep is vital for healthy brain functioning, metabolism, immune system, and emotional wellbeing. About one in ten Australians struggle with mild insomnia, which may include difficulty falling asleep, regularly waking during the night, or waking up too early. Naturopathy is a natural treatment for insomnia, and our naturopath in Melbourne can help you take the first steps towards better sleep.
Common Causes of Insomnia
Naturopathy involves understanding the underlying causes behind your sleep problems to help you target the root of the issue without the side effects of sleeping pills. Here are the most common causes of insomnia:
- Lifestyle and nutrition. Consuming caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, or large amounts of refined sugar before bed may cause less restful sleep. Some studies suggest that gut health may impact sleep too and eating high-fibre foods can improve your sleep quality over time. Working late, travelling or other activities that affect your sleep schedule may also contribute to insomnia.
- Hormone imbalances. Melatonin is a hormone your brain produces at night to help regulate sleep, and an imbalance may cause insomnia. Other hormones that play a role in your sleep quality include serotonin, oestrogen, testosterone, and cortisol. A naturopath may test you for hormonal imbalances and suggest natural remedies that promote melatonin production.
- Stress and mental health concerns. Many people dealing with insomnia also have anxiety, depression, chronic stress, or other mental health concerns. Stress and anxiety can cause your brain to become overactive at night, preventing you from falling asleep, which often causes even more stress. Naturopathy may help break this cycle of insomnia.
Naturopathic Treatments for Insomnia
You may benefit from visiting a naturopath for your sleep problems if you are looking for a natural way to overcome insomnia without taking sleeping tablets. Here are some of the methods naturopaths may suggest to help you build better sleeping habits:
- Sleep hygiene and lifestyle changes. You may learn to keep a regular sleep cycle, create a comfortable sleeping environment, and build relaxing bedtime habits through naturopathy. A naturopath can help you implement healthy eating plans and exercise routines that promote restful sleep.
- Behavioural health. Practising mindfulness, mediation, journaling, and breathing exercises may be beneficial when dealing with insomnia. A naturopath can teach you how to implement these practices into your bedtime routine for better sleep.
- Botanical medicine. Herbal ingredients, such as passionflower, ashwagandha, and L-theanine, may help you relax before bed and have a better sleep. Your naturopath may suggest taking natural medicines and help you identify aspects that may negatively affect your sleep quality.
Say Goodbye to Sleepless Nights With Inner Reward Naturopathy
Naturopathy is an alternative medicine system and a natural way to deal with insomnia without using traditional medication. Rebecca Screen at Inner Reward has over 20 years of experience as a naturopath and is passionate about helping you build solid sleeping habits as a foundation for a healthy lifestyle. Contact us to find out more about our natural insomnia relief.